Thursday, July 29, 2010

How to Make"Real" OilCloth: Who Knew?

Oilcloth is really popular waterproof fabric.  I was perplexed by the name.  Why is it called Oilcloth? The oilcloth I found in the marketplace reminded me of vinyl.  I am not a big fan of vinyl fabric.  This fabric does seem to have  better qualities than vinyl; but, I was still not sold on the product.  Come to find out, the fabric IS coated with type of vinyl.

Then, what to my wondering eyes should appear but, an article written by Modhomeecteacher.  This article discusses the origin of oilcloth and includes tutorial on how to make your own oilcloth using fabric and refined linseed oil.  Who knew, it was sooo easy. Click here to read this informative article.   Make sure you read the comments section at the end of this article too.  There are a few hints and a warning about linseed oil.  Careful, linseed oil is combustible and should be used in a well ventilated area.

After you make your oilcloth you may want to make some of the items in this book from Sofie Bester.  I really like the bag on the front cover. It looks there is ton of good stuff in it.

Get inspired, make something.  It will give you a new outlook on life!   :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...